And His Name Shall Be Called: Wonderful Counselor...
Tuesday December 24, 2019
About 750 years before Jesus the Messiah – “the desire of all the nations” – was born, the prophet Isaiah spoke of Him, saying: “But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time He brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time He has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. You have multiplied the nation; You have increased its joy; they rejoice before You as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil…
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon His shoulder,
and His name shall be called
Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.” (Isaiah 9:1-7)
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace – four names for Jesus Christ with incalculable meaning and significance for humankind.
In a world as complicated and difficult as ours, who does not need a counselor? A legal, or a financial, or a vocational, or a family counsellor? In order to be able to face and resolve the many problems that life brings us, we need a wisdom beyond ourselves in order to find the correct solutions. Jesus is our Wonderful Counselor: always available, completely approachable and eternally trustworthy. The Psalms say that He guides us with His counsel, and that His counsel endures forever.
He is our Mighty God: “I am Shaddai, God All-Powerful”, He says of Himself in the book of Job. For Him, nothing is difficult, nothing is impossible. Our Mighty God is our defence, our protection, our mercy and our miracle worker.
He is our Everlasting Father: He who created us and He who gives us life in the Spirit – He who guides us, guards us, teaches us and who loves us as an earthly father ought to do. Only that He does so perfectly and eternally. He is never wrong, and He never abandons us. “I am a Father to Israel”, He says of Himself in the book of the prophet Jeremiah. “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
And finally, He is our Prince of Peace: in our lives filled with afflictions and tribulations, where we constantly feel that our hearts are troubled and we feel afraid, He gives us and leaves us His peace – a peace that is different from the peace the world understands and knows – a peace that surpasses all understanding – a peace that guards our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus. The prophet Isaiah says: “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” (Isaiah 26:3) As Prince of Peace, He wants His peace to reign in our hearts.
On this night - Christmas Eve - let us remember that, when Jesus was born more than 2000 years ago:
“For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given…
and His name shall be called
Prince of Peace.”
May Jesus – the Christ – the Son of the Most High and the Son of God –
Emmanuel – the Mighty Saviour – the Lord – the King of the Jews…
be your Wonderful Counselor, your Mighty God,
your Everlasting Father, your Prince of Peace –
and ever so much more this Christmas and every day from now on!
- The Battle For The Avocados
- Reflections From Europe: The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic - Part II
- Reflections From Europe: The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic - Part I
- Reflections from Europe: Stones
- Reflections from Europe: Taste and See
- Reflections from Europe: The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Reflections from Europe: A Life of More
- RESURRECTION SUNDAY: The Word - Isaac Wimberley
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord?, Part III
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord?, Part II
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord? Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part I