Birds Know The Secret
Tuesday, August 6 2019
Have you ever seen a bird sleeping on the branch of a tree or on a telephone cable, without falling?
How does it do that? I wonder...
If you or I were to try sleeping perched on something small and narrow, without a doubt we would fall.
Well... I've learned the secret. When a bird lands on a branch, the “knees” (anatomically, the ankles) automatically bend forward, and this causes the Achilles' tendon to stretch. When the tendon stretches, it pulls on the toes and curls them around the branch. There is no muscular effort involved in holding onto the branch - it’s automatic. While the “knees” remain bent, the tendons and the toes are locked firmly into place. The feet do not and can not let go of the branch until the bird’s “knees” straighten for take-off. When the bird does take off, the legs straighten, the tendon relaxes, and the toes release their hold on the branch.
So... the bird's secret is this: keeping the “knees” bent forward is what gives the strength to grab and hold onto anything without falling.
Isn’t that amazing? What an incredible idea God thought of for the birds!
And what a life lesson we human beings can learn from this truth!
When life all around us wants to break us and cause us to fall, when we are utterly exhausted and our souls so need to rest and “sleep”, we are most secure and most steady when our knees are bent in prayer. That way, we can grab and firmly hold onto the “branch” that is Jesus – and He will never ever let us fall!
“There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse,
and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.”
That branch is Jesus Christ.
He is a branch of wisdom and understanding,
of counsel and might,
of righteousness and faithfulness.
“The Lord makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;
though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.”
We are firmly upheld when we delight in,
and hang onto the hand of,
the Lord Jesus Christ.
Remember the birds: when their “knees” are bent forward, their feet are securely perched on the tree branch.
And remember, so it is with you and me too: when our knees are bent forward in prayer, we too will be secure and steadfast in Jesus.
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Son of God
- And His Name Shall Be Called: The Christ
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Jesus
- And His Name Shall Be Called...
- My Neighbours Dirty Laundry
- Stage or Stairwell Living
- Could It Be?
- I Am Doing a New Thing
- Despite The Uphill Road Choose Joy - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- I Will Dance Until The Music Stops - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- Life In The Sonlight - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- Choose Life - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- The Realm of Grace - Philip Yancey
- Because God Sees
- There Are No Shortcuts
- Life Is Like a Teeter Totter
- They Say It Was Squire Boones
- In The Center of the Circle
- If The Clouds Are Full...
- The Mirage Will Become a Pool of Water