My Life - A Place of Holiness
Tuesday, May 28 2019
As we read and study Isaiah 35, we are looking at the five marks that ought to characterize the life of a person who is submitted to the reign of King Jesus. We have seen the first mark: My Life Will Become a Place of Beauty and Song - the second mark: My Life Will Become a Place of Strength - the third mark: My Life Will Become a Place of Miracles.
And today, we will look at the fourth mark: My Life Will Become a Place of Holiness (vs. 8-9).
“And a highway shall be there,
and it shall be called the Way of Holiness;
the unclean shall not pass over it.
It shall belong to those who walk on the way;
even if they are fools, they shall not go astray.
No lion shall be there,
nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it;
they shall not be found there,
but the redeemed shall walk there.”
In Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount as recorded in Matthew 5, He said: “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (v.48) The apostle Paul said in Ephesians 1:4: “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.” And in 1 Thessalonians 4:3 and 7 the same apostle said: “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified… For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.” In Isaiah 57:15, God speaks of Himself as “the high and exalted One… — he who lives forever, whose name is holy”. And the Word of God ends with the book of Revelation, with the majestic adoration of the four living creatures, who “day and night they never stop saying: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.’” (4:8)
God longs for, God demands, our holiness and sanctification, because He Himself is holy, three times holy. He does not want us, as His children, to walk in filth and debauchery - rather, He wants us to be perfect, as He is perfect. But only He can take us out of the gutter and sewage of our lives and set us walking on the Way of Holiness. Because only He can forgive us our sins and forget our wickedness, only He can wash us and cleanse us from all our unrighteousness. No one who is unclean can journey on this Way, because the holy God Himself will be on this highway. That is why it is so very important and so completely indispensable that we confess our sins, because “He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness”. (1 John 1:9) And thus, forgiven, cleansed and redeemed, we can walk on this Way of Holiness with confidence and with freedom.
If it is difficult for us to stay strong and focused on this highway, no matter how “foolish” we may be, we will not go astray - because God Himself will help us to press on and persevere. There will be no lions, no ravenous beasts, and no other ferocious enemy on that Way to frighten us, to devour us, or to throw us off. We will be able to walk peacefully and trustingly, because God Himself will be walking right beside us.
Dear friend: what is your life like today? Are you walking on the Way of Holiness, regularly confessing your sins, allowing God to forgive you and to cleanse you from all your unrighteousness? Are you one of the “redeemed” who can walk with complete freedom, security and confidence on this holy highway?
Dear friend: remember - “This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.” (2 Samuel 22:31)
(Ideas taken from “Thirsting After God”, by Dr. Keith Price)
- Reflections From Europe: The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic - Part II
- Reflections From Europe: The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic - Part I
- Reflections from Europe: Stones
- Reflections from Europe: Taste and See
- Reflections from Europe: The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Reflections from Europe: A Life of More
- RESURRECTION SUNDAY: The Word - Isaac Wimberley
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord?, Part III
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord?, Part II
- LENT 2020 - So... Who Are You, Lord? Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I AM, Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Alpha and The Omega, Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part III
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part II
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The True Vine, Part I
- LENT 2020 - Jesus Said: I Am The Way, The Truth and The Life