Like Clay In The Potters Hand
Thursday, March 21 2019
Rescued – visualized – prepared – centred – under pressure – turned – polished – dried – and fired clay…
So that, in the end, after a long arduous process of working with the clay, the potter has a beautiful and useful vessel in his hand.
And so it is with us, clay in the hand of the heavenly Potter:
- we too are rescued: rescued from anonymity, so that we might be special and eternally-loved treasures in His sight; and rescued from sin, so that we might live in His forgiveness and freedom, together with Him forever
- we too are visualized: with wonderful and unique designs and plans for each one of us; as amazing works of art, masterpieces with a future filled with well-being and hope and good works
- we too are prepared: cleansed of every little stone of sin, every grain of sand of dispute, every root of bitterness, every air-bubble of pride – so that we might be holy and blameless before Him
- we too are centred: in Christ Jesus alone – the only One who is the Way, the Truth and the Life; the only One in whom there is salvation and eternal life; the Fountain of all that we are, all that we desire, and all that we need
- we too are put under pressure: pressure from the outside through the circumstances of life that squeeze and crush us; and pressure from the inside, where our own character grieves and torments us – so that God might fulfil His purpose in each one of us
- we too are turned: at the mercy of a Potter who starts and stops and changes the speeds of the wheel of our lives according to His perfect wisdom and His eternal love; having to submit and allow ourselves to be molded without complaining, without asking for explanations, without rebelling
- we too are polished: with God’s wires that cut off what should no longer be a part of us; with His knives that scrape and sand away all the roughness in us; with His sharp tools that engrave and adorn us
- we too are dried: taken to desert-places in our lives – so that we might confess our sins and find forgiveness and grace; so that our faith and our patience might be tried and proven true and faithful; so that God might speak tenderly and intimately to our hearts there
- we too are fired: we must pass through the furnaces of affliction and through the fires of tribulation – so that we might come out purified and refined like gold and silver; so that we might be strengthened and made resilient and persevering to the end
“The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord:
“Arise, and go down to the potter's house,
and there I will let you hear my words.”
So I went down to the potter's house,
and there he was working at his wheel.
And the vessel he was making of clay
was spoiled in the potter's hand,
and he reworked it into another vessel,
as it seemed good to the potter to do.
Then the word of the Lord came to me:
“O house of Israel,
can I not do with you as this potter has done?
declares the Lord.
Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand,
so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.”
Dear friend: are you allowing yourself to be shaped and molded by the heavenly Potter? are you humble and submissive clay, resting and trusting in the work of His hands?
Let’s allow Him to make us into “vessels of gold and silver… for honorable use… set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.” (2 Timothy 2:20-21)
Let’s allow Him who created us to continue to perfect us into the masterpieces that He dreamt and determined to make of us (Ephesians 2:10) – so that we might “... offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ… and that [we might] proclaim the excellencies of Him who called [us] out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:5,9)
“And I am sure of this,
that He who began a good work in you
will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”
- RESURRECTION SUNDAY: The Word - Isaac Wimberley
- The Fruit of Suffering
- No Arms?
- The Rubber Band
- Laying Aside or Laying Down
- Fired Clay
- Dried Clay
- Polished Clay
- Turned Clay
- Pressured Clay
- Centered Clay
- Prepared Clay
- Visualized Clay
- Rescued Clay
- ...In The Potters Hand
- Like Clay...
- God Is Not Helpless Among The Ruins
- Learning To Have A Strong Faith
- Reflect In Your Heart
- What King Is This?