...In The Potters Hand
Friday, February 15 2019
Some 2600 years ago, there lived a prophet named Jeremiah who prophesied in the kingdom of Judah in the region of the world that is now known as the Middle East.
One day, God spoke to him and said:
“The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord:
“Arise, and go down to the potter's house,
and there I will let you hear my words.”
So I went down to the potter's house,
and there he was working at his wheel.
And the vessel he was making of clay
was spoiled in the potter's hand,
and he reworked it into another vessel,
as it seemed good to the potter to do.
Then the word of the Lord came to me:
“O house of Israel,
can I not do with you as this potter has done?
declares the Lord.
Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand,
so are you in my hand,
O house of Israel.”
I tried to imagine the scene:
- Jeremiah was no doubt not accustomed to visiting the potter’s house of the town – that is why God had to send him there, so that He could show him and teach him some things there...
- the prophet arrives at the house: from the entrance he can see the wheel, the oven, humid clay sitting on a table waiting its turn to be worked on, and many vessels of all shapes and sizes drying on the floor; in the middle of the workshop, he sees the potter sitting at the wheel, working…
- as he enters, he can hear the sound of the wheel going round and round, the fire crackling in the oven, and other than that: silence…
- as he comes closer, he can smell the strong smell of humid clay permeating every corner of the house...
- as he observes everything around him, he touches the wet clay waiting on the table – and then he touches a vessel drying on the floor…
- and he quietly sits down: to watch, to listen, to ask a question here and there, and to learn…
Just like me, when awhile back I had the opportunity to visit a potter in a nearby town. Like Jeremiah, I was able to watch, and listen, ask some questions and learn about the intriguing process of pottery-making.
And, like Jeremiah, I was able to hear the words of God speaking deeply into my heart: words about God Himself, the heavenly Potter – and words about myself, the clay in His hand.
Dear friend: I imagine you know that you were made out of the dust of the earth. But do you know that you have a Potter in the heavens who has seen the incalculable value in the “clay” that you are, and who wants to make something beautiful and useful of your life?
I invite you to join me in the next days and weeks, so that together we might see and hear and learn all about the hand of the Potter on the clay of our lives.
- Life Is Like a Teeter Totter
- They Say It Was Squire Boones
- In The Center of the Circle
- If The Clouds Are Full...
- The Mirage Will Become a Pool of Water
- Pursuing a Mirage
- My Life - A Place of Joy
- My Life - A Place of Holiness
- My Life - A Place of Miracles
- My Life - A Place of Strength
- My Life - A Place of Beauty and Song
- Thirsting After God
- RESURRECTION SUNDAY: The Word - Isaac Wimberley
- The Fruit of Suffering
- No Arms?
- The Rubber Band
- Laying Aside or Laying Down
- Like Clay In The Potters Hand
- Fired Clay
- Dried Clay