Monday, July 3 2017
“Through faith in the name of Jesus,
this man was healed –
and you know how crippled he was before.
Faith in Jesus’ name has healed him
before your very eyes.”
The story: a lame beggar is healed – soon after the fire of the Holy Spirit has come upon the believers on the day of Pentecost…
Two of Jesus’ disciples, Peter and John, were going up to the temple to pray. Arriving at the gate, a man lame from birth begged them for alms. Peter replied: “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” Immediately the lame man stood up, his body strengthened – and he entered the temple with them walking and leaping and praising God!
Peter, seeing the astonishment of all the people, addressed them with these words: “Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk? The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus… the Holy and Righteous One… Through faith in the name of Jesus, this man was healed… Faith in Jesus’ name has healed him before your very eyes.”
It’s not all the silver and gold that we have…
It’s not our great power…
It’s not our remarkable piety…
It’s faith – faith in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. A faith that believes that He alone is able and willing to strengthen and to heal, according to His good and acceptable and perfect will.
Is there something in your life today that needs strengthening, someone who needs healing? You yourself? Pray for healing then, and have faith that in Jesus Christ’s name healing will come.
God, of course, is sovereign. We are not always healed of all our sicknesses and weaknesses here on earth. Sometimes God strengthens us in them, and gives sufficient grace to bear them, without taking them away.
But this is sure: it is not our money, nor our own power, nor our godliness that save. Only Jesus saves. Only Jesus heals.
Have faith today in Him, in His merits and in His authority alone. Either He will heal you completely of your affliction – or He will give you sufficient grace to continue to bear it.
- 1 John 3:16
- The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic
- The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Martin Luther: Here He Stood (1483-1546)
- Katharina von Bora: The Runaway Nun (1499-1552)
- Johannes Bugenhagen: The Administrative Pastor (1485-1558)
- Zacharius Ursinus: The Happy Professor (1534-1583)
- Theodore Beza: The First Calvinist (1519-1605)
- Lady Jane Grey: The Teenage Martyr (c.1537-1554)
- Pierre Viret: The Smile of the Reformation (1511-1571)
- Robert Estienne: The Ink (1503-1559)
- John Calvin: The Genius of Geneva (1509-1564)
- John Knox: The Champion of the Kirk (c.1513-1572)
- Conrad Grebel: The Radical Reformer (c.1498-1526)
- Heinrich Bullinger: The Majestic Beard of Zurich (1504-1575)
- Hellen Stirke: The Ordinary Virgin Mary (died 1543)
- Hans Gooseflesh: The Accidental Reformer (c.1400-1468)
- Ulrich Zwingli: The Swiss Giant (1484-1531)
- Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley: The British Candle (martyred in 1555)
- Guillaume Farel: The French Firebrand (1489-1565)