Monday, June 26 2017
“John answered all of them by saying,
“I baptize you with water;
but One who is more powerful than I is coming;
I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”
Before we get into the amazing words that John spoke, let’s check out the context a bit:
Which John is Luke referring to? Who does he mean by “all of them”? And what exactly is John answering to?
Luke is speaking of John the Baptist, Jesus’ slightly older cousin.
“All of them” is “the crowds that came out to baptized by him” in the Jordan River (v.7).
And his proclamations are in response to the “questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Christ” (v.15).
John began his answer by saying: “I baptize you with water” unto repentance (Matthew 3:11). That is, his water baptism was evidence of repentance. He baptized with water, or immersed in water, those who showed evidence of having confessed and been cleansed of their sin, and of having made the decision to turn from idols and vain things to the living and true God. And his water baptism was important.
But he knew that he needed to make it completely clear that there was Someone else who was coming after him – Someone much more powerful, much more holy, and much more glorious than he – Someone whose sandal thongs he was not worthy to untie.
And this Someone would do much more, something much deeper and mightier, than the simple outward demonstration of water baptism. This Someone would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire, with extraordinary supernatural power from on high for Christ-inspired living and for Christ-exalted ministry.
How about you? Do you know this water baptism? Do you know this baptism with the Holy Spirit and fire? I encourage you to immerse yourself in Jesus – and then to seek both water and Holy Spirit baptism. Your life will never again be the same!
- 2 Corintians 3:16
- 1 Corinthians 3:16
- Acts 3:16
- Matthew 3:16-17
- John 3:16
- The 3:16 Series
- His Banner Over Me Is Love
- I Trust You, God - Part 2
- I Trust You, God - Part 1
- The Will of God Is Good
- God Is Good
- Never Abandoned
- Resurrection Saturday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Friday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Thursday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Wednesday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Tuesday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Monday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Resurrection Sunday - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen
- Lent Day 40 - LIFE OF CHRIST, by Fulton Sheen