Monday, June 19 2017
“After his baptism,
as Jesus came up out of the water,
the heavens were opened
and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove
and settling on him.
And a voice from heaven said,
“This is my dearly loved Son,
who brings me great joy.”
It’s a beautiful scene:
John the Baptist has been baptizing many of God’s people in the Jordan River – baptizing them with water for repentance, as he himself said.
Then Jesus, his cousin, appears. And He also asks to be baptized. John hesitates… After all, he is fully aware that Jesus is mightier than he, that he is not worthy to carry or to untie His sandals.
And yet, so that all righteousness might be fulfilled – so that Jesus would carry out all that God required of Him – John baptizes Him as well.
And then, before the eyes and ears of everyone present, the miraculous happens:
- the heavens open
- the Spirit of God descends like a dove and settles upon Jesus
- and a voice from heaven is heard: “This is My dearly loved Son, who brings Me great joy.”
In one exquisite divine moment of glory, the Trinity – God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit – is revealed to mankind: Jesus in the flesh as a man, the Spirit resting like a dove of peace upon Him, and the Father’s heavenly voice affirming His love and joy in Him.
I can’t imagine a more glorious moment! The One who has come to baptize us with the Holy Spirit and with fire, submitting to a water baptism by His cousin. And in so doing – in humbly obeying and fulfilling His Father’s righteousness – the Spirit comes to rest upon Him in peace, and His Father’s voice proclaims His unending love for and pleasure in Him!
Matthew 3:16-17: so worth memorizing and guarding in our hearts!
- Jesus Said: I Am The Good Shepherd - Part I
- Jesus Said: I Am The Door of The Sheep
- Jesus Said: I Am The Light of The World
- Jesus Said: I Am The Bread of Life
- Who Are You, Lord?
- Hope For The Hard Times
- In Gods Grip
- 50:20 Vision
- Slain - In The Shadow of The Almighty
- He Had No Rights. And I?
- A Crushed Head, A Dead Serpent: An Eternal Victory!
- Surely The Arm of the Lord Is Not Too Short To Save
- The Rubber Band
- From My Mothers Womb
- And God Separated
- The Man Billy Graham - His Legacy
- The Man Billy Graham - II
- The Man Billy Graham - I
- And God Said... And It Was So