Monday, June 19 2017
“After his baptism,
as Jesus came up out of the water,
the heavens were opened
and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove
and settling on him.
And a voice from heaven said,
“This is my dearly loved Son,
who brings me great joy.”
It’s a beautiful scene:
John the Baptist has been baptizing many of God’s people in the Jordan River – baptizing them with water for repentance, as he himself said.
Then Jesus, his cousin, appears. And He also asks to be baptized. John hesitates… After all, he is fully aware that Jesus is mightier than he, that he is not worthy to carry or to untie His sandals.
And yet, so that all righteousness might be fulfilled – so that Jesus would carry out all that God required of Him – John baptizes Him as well.
And then, before the eyes and ears of everyone present, the miraculous happens:
- the heavens open
- the Spirit of God descends like a dove and settles upon Jesus
- and a voice from heaven is heard: “This is My dearly loved Son, who brings Me great joy.”
In one exquisite divine moment of glory, the Trinity – God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit – is revealed to mankind: Jesus in the flesh as a man, the Spirit resting like a dove of peace upon Him, and the Father’s heavenly voice affirming His love and joy in Him.
I can’t imagine a more glorious moment! The One who has come to baptize us with the Holy Spirit and with fire, submitting to a water baptism by His cousin. And in so doing – in humbly obeying and fulfilling His Father’s righteousness – the Spirit comes to rest upon Him in peace, and His Father’s voice proclaims His unending love for and pleasure in Him!
Matthew 3:16-17: so worth memorizing and guarding in our hearts!
- The Man Billy Graham - His Legacy
- The Man Billy Graham - II
- The Man Billy Graham - I
- And God Said... And It Was So
- Not Enough
- Spilled Suitcases and Scattered Seeds
- Where Joy and Sorrow Meet
- A Sacred Refuge Is Your Name
- And His Name Shall Be Called...
- What King Is This?
- He Has Visited His People
- In The Fullness of Time
- What Man Is This?
- What Child Is This?
- What Babe Is This?
- 1 John 3:16
- The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic
- The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Martin Luther: Here He Stood (1483-1546)