Monday, June 12 2017
“For God so loved the world
that He gave His one and only Son,
that whoever believes in Him
shall not perish
but have eternal life.”
For God = not a man, not an energy, not an angel – but a supreme deity, the one and only true and living God
So loved = not hated, not tolerated, not ignored – but loved… so loved
The world = not just the rich, not just the powerful, not just the blue-bloods – not just the poor and the needy – but the whole world, and absolutely everyone in it
That He gave = not withheld, not sold for a price, not offered on a costly condition – but gave freely, because He is a freely giving God
His one and only Son = not a sacrificial thing, not a sacrificial animal, not a sacrificial angel – but that which was most precious and dear to Him: His only Child Jesus Christ, His very own Son as a sacrifice
That whoever = again not just the rich, or the powerful, or the blue-bloods, or the poor, or the needy – but whoever
Believes in Him = not just gives mental ascent to, not just as a ritual observance – but truly believes in His existence, in His love and in His mission
Shall not perish = will not die and go to hell – but will die and be raised up again, and be together with God
But have eternal life = not eternal death and non-existence, and not a life of eternal agony in hell – but life, forever and ever, in everlasting love and joy and peace in heaven.
The offer of eternal life comes from above, from God. His love expressed in the gift of His Son Jesus, through whom eternal life is imparted to us, is for everyone. But only those who choose to believe in Him, who choose to accept that He is the gift and who choose to receive Him as the gift, will live for eternity.
How about you? Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Will you receive the eternal life He longs to give you!
I hope so. More importantly, much more importantly, God Himself hopes so!
- What Man Is This?
- What Child Is This?
- What Babe Is This?
- 1 John 3:16
- The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic
- The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Martin Luther: Here He Stood (1483-1546)
- Katharina von Bora: The Runaway Nun (1499-1552)
- Johannes Bugenhagen: The Administrative Pastor (1485-1558)
- Zacharius Ursinus: The Happy Professor (1534-1583)
- Theodore Beza: The First Calvinist (1519-1605)
- Lady Jane Grey: The Teenage Martyr (c.1537-1554)
- Pierre Viret: The Smile of the Reformation (1511-1571)
- Robert Estienne: The Ink (1503-1559)
- John Calvin: The Genius of Geneva (1509-1564)
- John Knox: The Champion of the Kirk (c.1513-1572)
- Conrad Grebel: The Radical Reformer (c.1498-1526)
- Heinrich Bullinger: The Majestic Beard of Zurich (1504-1575)
- Hellen Stirke: The Ordinary Virgin Mary (died 1543)
- Hans Gooseflesh: The Accidental Reformer (c.1400-1468)