ADVENT: First Sunday and First Week - HOPE
Sunday December 1, 2019
Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906 – 1945) was a German Lutheran pastor, theologian, and founding member of the Confessing Church, who participated in the resistance movement against the Nazis and against its program of euthanasia and genocide of the Jewish people. For his strong opposition to Adolf Hitler’s dictatorship, he was arrested and imprisoned. Accused later of participating in the plots to assassinate the Nazi leader, he was detained in a concentration camp, and finally hanged in 1945, only 23 days before the German surrender.
Regarding HOPE he said, “A cell in a prison, where one waits with HOPE … where one is completely dependent on the fact that the door to freedom must be opened from the outside, this is a good picture of ADVENT.”
This first week of ADVENT we light and celebrate the candle of HOPE. Writing to the Romans about HOPE, the Apostle Paul said: “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the HOPE of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, HOPE. And HOPE does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” (5:1-5)
Dear friend: as you celebrate ADVENT this week, may you feel a rebirth of the HOPE of the glory of God in your life, the HOPE that never puts to shame.
First Sunday of ADVENT: December 1 – The Candle of HOPE
Monday December 2
Tuesday December 3
1 Peter 1:3
Wednesday December 4
Thursday December 5
Friday December 6
Saturday December 7
"Outside of the cross of Jesus Christ,
there is no HOPE in this world.
That cross and resurrection at the core of the Gospel
is the only HOPE for humanity."
- For All Things
- Above All Things
- Before All Things
- With God All Things Are Possible
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Wonderful Counselor...
- And His Name Shall Be Called: King of the Jews
- And His Name Shall Be Called: The Lord
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Mighty Saviour
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Emmanuel
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Son of God
- And His Name Shall Be Called: The Christ
- And His Name Shall Be Called: Jesus
- And His Name Shall Be Called...
- My Neighbours Dirty Laundry
- Stage or Stairwell Living
- Could It Be?
- I Am Doing a New Thing
- Despite The Uphill Road Choose Joy - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- I Will Dance Until The Music Stops - The Legacy of Geoff Richards
- Life In The Sonlight - The Legacy of Geoff Richards