LENT: Day 18 - Stained Glass Windows I
Tuesday, March 6 2018
Good morning, friends. How are you on this 18th day of Lent?
In yesterday’s reflection, I came to the conclusion that rather than painting a picture of myself, or writing my autobiography, I should think and work more on being a stained glass window. So, let’s talk about stained glass windows. What are they like?
Stained glass windows:
- as we know them today have about a thousand-year-old history, since the Middle Ages
- were mostly made for cathedrals and churches
- are made of hundreds or thousands of small pieces of colored glass painted by hand and organized to form decorative images or motifs
- many of them have survived over time – meaning that neither the sun, nor water, nor wind, nor cold have damaged them much
So, what does this have to do with my life? Is it possible that I could view my own life as a stained glass window?
1) The stained glass window of my life is made up of hundreds and thousands of little “pieces of glass”: people and things, circumstances and events – some great, others small – of different colors and tones, of light and shadows – all pieced and joined together in a unique and precious way by God, the Creator and Sustainer of all.
Genesis 1:27 says: “So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.”
Psalm 139:13-17 says: “For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! ”
Ephesians 2:10 says: “For we are God’s handiwork, (in Greek “poiema” or work of art) created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
2) The stained glass window of my life also has been exposed to the “sun, water, wind and cold”: in other words, all the difficult and adverse situations that have impacted and battered my life, but that have not been able to destroy it because God has been present and has protected me.
Isaiah 43:1,2 says: “But now, this is what the LORD says—He who created you, Jacob, He who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”
Psalm 23:4 says: “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”
Dear friend: you and I are like stained glass windows – we are the creations of a heavenly God and Artist, made in His image and likeness – our lives are woven and knit together exactly according to the specifications of the Creator. Each one of us is wonderfully and marvelously made, each one is a unique and valuable work of art. No matter what happens in our lives, our Creator and Maker will be with us and no adverse circumstances will be able to drown us or burn us or destroy us.
“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? … No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (Romans 8:35,37)
Dear friend: let’s give thanks to God for His thoughts that are so precious and His works that are so magnificent! Let’s worship Him for the eternal and profound love that He has for us, a love that motivates us to be conquerors in everything!
- Jesus Said: I Am The Good Shepherd - Part I
- Jesus Said: I Am The Door of The Sheep
- Jesus Said: I Am The Light of The World
- Jesus Said: I Am The Bread of Life
- Who Are You, Lord?
- Hope For The Hard Times
- In Gods Grip
- 50:20 Vision
- Slain - In The Shadow of The Almighty
- He Had No Rights. And I?
- A Crushed Head, A Dead Serpent: An Eternal Victory!
- Surely The Arm of the Lord Is Not Too Short To Save
- The Rubber Band
- From My Mothers Womb
- And God Separated
- The Man Billy Graham - His Legacy
- The Man Billy Graham - II
- The Man Billy Graham - I
- And God Said... And It Was So