ADVENT: Third Sunday and Third Week - JOY
Sunday December 17, 2017
This Sunday and this week we will continue the ADVENT celebration.
ADVENT prepares us for Christmas:
Prepares our eyes to see the star.
Prepares our ears to listen to the angels singing.
Prepares our feet to run to the manger, as did the shepherds.
Prepares our knees to kneel before Him, as did the wise men.
Prepares our hearts to worship Jesus.
This third week of ADVENT we celebrate and light the candle of JOY. This is the same JOY that Mary experienced when she went to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was also pregnant. Mary burst into the Magnificat, a song of worship in which she said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior…” (Luke 1:46-47). This was the same JOY with which a heavenly host appeared to some shepherds around Bethlehem the night that the baby Jesus was born, singing and praising God for “good news that will cause great JOY” for all people. This is the same JOY that the wise men from the East experienced as they were guided by a star to the place where Jesus was: “When they saw the star, they were overjoyed!” (Matthew 2:10)
Dear friend: in this third week of ADVENT, may you also rejoice, whatever situation you find yourself in, because the Light of the world has come in the person of Jesus Christ to chase away all the darkness in your life.
Third Sunday of ADVENT: December 17 – The Candle of JOY
Monday December 18
Tuesday December 19
Wednesday December 20
Thursday December 21
Friday, December 22
Saturday December 23
- Where Joy and Sorrow Meet
- A Sacred Refuge Is Your Name
- And His Name Shall Be Called...
- What King Is This?
- He Has Visited His People
- In The Fullness of Time
- What Man Is This?
- What Child Is This?
- What Babe Is This?
- 1 John 3:16
- The Bridges of Prague in the Czech Republic
- The Legacy of Wartburg Castle in Germany
- Martin Luther: Here He Stood (1483-1546)
- Katharina von Bora: The Runaway Nun (1499-1552)
- Johannes Bugenhagen: The Administrative Pastor (1485-1558)
- Zacharius Ursinus: The Happy Professor (1534-1583)
- Theodore Beza: The First Calvinist (1519-1605)
- Lady Jane Grey: The Teenage Martyr (c.1537-1554)
- Pierre Viret: The Smile of the Reformation (1511-1571)
- Robert Estienne: The Ink (1503-1559)